(2) And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:
(3) Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
(4) Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
(5) Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
(6) Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
(7) Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
(8) Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
(9) Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
(10) Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
(11) Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. (12) Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
(20) And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said:
Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.
(21) Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you shall be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh.
(22) Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man! (23) Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets.